During the 9:00 and 11:15 a.m. services on Sunday, January 5, parishioner Malinda Snow offered this reflection on Deaconess Wood, the first woman to serve in ministry at All Saints’, as well as Malinda’s own early days as a member of this community.
NOTE: If you have trouble hearing the audio, click the “CC” button on the bottom right of the video and and select “English (United States) CC”.
More about Deaconess Katherine E. Wood:
From its inception in 1903, All Saints’ concerned itself with the well being of the city around it. Our outreach to those less fortunate was inscribed on our collective DNA as a result of our relationship with the Holy Innocents Mission; a Sunday School for poor children founded in the 1870s by the very same Peters family who gave us our land. Instrumental to the operation of the Holy Innocents Mission was Deaconess Katherine E. Wood whose portrait hangs in Egleston Hall by the staircase nearest the Ponce de Leon entrance. She diligently led Morning Prayer and took up collections at Holy Innocents Mission.
Deaconess Wood was a trailblazer who served All Saints’ for four decades (1905—1946) during a time when women were seldom in leadership in the church. Reflective of All Saints’ being both ahead of and a product of its times, she was received with some skepticism upon her arrival and hailed as indispensable upon her retirement. Deaconess Wood founded a chapter of Daughters of the King here at All Saints’ which provided countless parishioners with opportunities for service and prayer over the decades. Her legacy of service to those in need and communal prayer remain at the center of our collective identity as a worshipping community to this day! More information about both the Deaconess and All Saints’ can be found in Margaret Langford’s exceptional book All Saints’ Episcopal Church: 1903—2003. Pick up a free copy at church on Sunday.